Sunday, May 27, 2012

Coca Cola Cupcakes

My husband's latest obsession is Coca Cola. It's the only thing he'll drink lately besides plain old water. I do have to say that it's pretty tasty with a little lime and some tequila, but really. I can't do it plain. Not out of a bottle/can at least. Of course I went perusing the internet for other ways to enjoy this bubbly beverage with him. And I found this. YUM. Although she mentioned it being in memorandum of Whitney Houston, I can forgive her for that bit for the taste. They're heavenly. I even made a Coca Cola frosting to go on top, though it's not much of a Coke taste. 
This is another case where you are NOT allowed to make fun of my blossoming piping skills.. Just kidding. I laughed myself when I was done. I definitely need some practice. I do at least have tools other than a ziploc bag now. Notice the lovely ridges? I even figured out how to attach the coupler and tip to the bag without the instructions (because my kids undoubtedly walked off with them). The minis (see above picture) turned out okay, but the bigger ones.. Well.. It's a work in progress. The good news is they taste better than my piping job looks. 


Ingredients:


Cupcake:
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup Coca Cola
Maraschino Cherries (optional)


Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp Coca Cola


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350ยบ.


Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, combine until well mixed. 


In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add alternately with Coca Cola to the wet ingredients until all is incorporated. 


Evenly distribute the batter between lined muffin cups. This recipe made 12 regular cupcakes and 8 minis. If you choose, press a maraschino cherry into each cupcake at this time. For the minis, maybe a half or quarter cherry will suffice. Bake minis for 13-16 minutes, regular size for 20-25 minutes. 


In a large bowl, cream butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and Coke alternately until the right consistency is reached. You can add more powdered sugar to make it stiffer, or more Coke to go the opposite way. 


When cupcakes have cooled at least 20-30 minutes, spread or pipe frosting on. This recipe makes slightly more than I needed to pipe it onto all of my cupcakes. You can use more, or save the rest for later. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles, if desired. 




These have a very cakey texture, and the Coke adds a strange note that most people wouldn't be able to pick out until you told them what it was. Then the light bulb goes on. It's fun to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment